Roasted Veggie Power Bowls
w/ grilled chicken & a garlic lemon vinaigrette
Power bowls are these magical food concoctions that consist of a balanced combination of veggies, protein, and whole grains. Now, I am not totally sure that my version consists of the exact balance needed, BUT I do know that my version tastes damn good. I have started exercising a lot more lately and since I have upped my cardio, I need a little pick me up in order to have enough energy to last throughout the day and this bowl definitely helps.
Roasted veggies are tasty on their own, but when mixed together with whole grains and some extra yummy power greens and grilled chicken, well then they by far become a sure party in your mouth.
And by the way, power bowls don’t need to be regulated to lunch or dinner options. They make a great breakfast meal as well. All you have to do is replace the grilled chicken with a fried egg instead and add a little turkey or chicken bacon to the mix. It’s that simple and easy to get creative and eat these suckers up!
Ingredients: Yields 6 servings
- 1 ½ c. Red Lentils, cooked
- 2 c. Brown Rice, cooked
- 2 c. Wild Rice, cooked
- 1 Can Chickpea or Garbanzo Beans, rinsed
- 2 c. Sweet Potatoes, cubed (about 2 sweet potatoes)
- 2 c. Butternut Squash, cubed (the neck of the butternut squash)
- 4 Carrots, pealed & cubed
- 3 Parnips, pealed & cubed
- 3 Turnips, pealed & cubed
- 6 Grilled Chicken, boneless & cut into strips (pre-cooked)
- Power Green Lettuce Mix
- ½ c. Garlic Lemon Vinaigrette
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. On a baking sheet drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil on the bottom. Spread out cubed veggies in an even layer and top with the remaining olive oil, salt and pepper. Place in the oven and roast for up to 45 minutes or until the veggies are cooked (some ovens vary). I used pre-cooked chicken breasts for this recipe, but if you want to cook chicken yourself then either roast in the oven or grill until cooked.
- Cook rice and lentils according to packages and set aside.
- In a bowl combine the cooked rice, lentils, and roasted veggies. Mix together with the lemon vinaigrette.
- Assemble Power Bowls by layering a handful of power green lettuce in the bottom of a bowl, a cup of the cooked rice and veggie mixture over and then top with the grilled chicken. Add more vinaigrette if needed.
- Serve warm!