with linguine pasta
Pesto is a thing of beauty with its fresh, green, cheesy, and nutty flavors. It is a simple sauce that requires no cooking time and little to no effort. The food processor pretty much does all the work while you stand back and watch. The only decision you have to make is whether you want it to be thick and chunky or smooth and creamy.
Me, I prefer the smooth and creamy way, which is why I love this version made with avocados so much. Avocados create a silky and smooth consistency that rich in flavor, while not burning a hole in your wallet to make. It definitely has a different texture than the traditional pesto since it is so creamy, but I have to say it is quite enjoyable and almost refreshing. Did I mention it can be also used as a condiment on sandwiches or as a dip with crostini’s?
*(Original recipe can be found here from Eating Well).
Ingredients: Yields 6 servings of pasta
1 lb. Fresh pasta or boxed Linguine (or a pasta of your choice)
Avocado Pesto Sauce:
- 2 Avocados
- ½ c. walnuts
- 1 bunch of Basil
- ½ c. Olive Oil
- 3 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbsp. Garilc
- Grated Parmesan Cheese for garnish
- In a food processor blend the Avocado Pesto Sauce together until it is a thick and chunky almost paste like consistency. Set aside.
- Fill a pot with water and bring to a boil. Add pasta and cook following the box directions (if using fresh pasta, usually 8 minutes).
- Drain the pasta, while reserving about ¼ c. of pasta water that it cooked in. Mix the pasta, pasta water and pesto together.
- Serve with some freshly grated Parmesan Cheese to top it with.