Black Truffled Filet Mignon
with a dry vermouth cream sauce & fresh truffled micro-green salad
This is probably the simplest of simple ways when serving fresh black truffles and a beautiful cut of red meat. This voluptuous cream sauce is a luxurious pleasure of culinary cuisine that is not only swoon worthy, but out of this world delicious. Made with a mix of finely chopped fresh black truffles and Dolin’s Dry Vermouth, this sauce is absolutely spectacular.
Dolin’s is one of my new favorite alcohols to cook with alongside red meat. The beauty of Dolin’s is it’s subtle, slightly grassy nose, mingled with aromas of lime, thyme, and white wine that blend perfectly with the earthy notes of the black truffles and filet. The shallots and garlic round out this dish and add that hint of sweetness to finish it off right. So go on and fancy it up with the luxury dinner treat.
Ingredients: Yields 2 servings
- 2 Filet Mignons, about 5-6 ounces each
- 1 Shallot, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic
- 1 ¼ c. Dry White Vermouth
- ½ c. Veal or Chicken Stock
- 4 Tbsp. Heavy Whipping Cream
- 4 Tbsp. Butter
- Coarse Sea Salt/Pepper
- Fresh Shaved Black Truffles (to top) plus about ½ tsp. finely chopped for the sauce
- Fresh Beet Micro Greens
- Season the filets mignons with salt and pepper; set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 3 Tbsp. of butter and sauté the filets mignons over high heat for 4 minutes a side for rare or 5 minutes a side for medium-rare. Remove the filets from the skillet, set aside and keep warm.
- While the skillet is still hot, add the remaining butter making sure to scrape the bottom of the pan. Add the garlic and shallots to the pan and cook until golden brown. Add the dry vermouth and finely chopped fresh black truffles and cook down by half. After the liquid has cooked down add in the veal or chicken stock mixture, bring to a quick boil and whisk in heavy cream. Reduce heat to low, then remove from heat and whisk in the heavy cream until it’s a smooth and silky sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- On each of two plates, place some sauce in the center and top with a filet mignon. Top each piece of meat with more sauce and garnish with a sliced truffles and a small bunch of beet micro greens on the top. Serve hot.