Infamous Wedge Salad
with warm bacon, fried shallot, blue cheese crumble & ranch dressing
This classic wedge salad is a retro creation that is easy to execute by remembering these three key things: keep it simple, keep it yummy, and keep it extra crunchy.
In a world fueled by the infamous super greens such as kale, spinach, baby arugula, and the everyday romaine, iceberg lettuce would seem to be the last choice to shine in this lettuce driven meal.
In this wedge salad creation, iceberg is the king of all lettuces. It isn’t packed with fiber or crazy nutrients that does a body a good or has some crazy peppery after taste that adds to the dish. The reason why this underdog is worth every bite and rocks this salad is because of the crunch factor. There is so much water that makes up this green leaf that when chilled just right it creates a solid cold crunch that soothes the tongue and leaves the ears ringing.
Crunchy things are probably my favorite things to eat and this salad is no different. Fried shallots, warm bacon, and creamy blue cheese that adds just the right amount of tang are three ingredients you can’t go wrong with. Top that with some chive and extra yummy ranch dressing and lunch can be served.
Ingredients: Yields 4 servings
- 1 head of Iceburg Lettuce, sliced into 4 wedges
- 1 c. Bacon, cooked, sliced into pieces
- 8 Shallots, sliced thing & fried
- 3 Tbsp. Blue Cheese
- 1 Tbsp. Chive, finely chopped
- 2 Hard Boiled Eggs, halved
- 4-5 Tbsp. Bolthouse Ranch Dressing
- Salt/Pepper, to taste
- Assemble your ingredients.
- Cut the head of lettuce into (4) wedges and place on a large plate.
- Place halved hard-boiled eggs next to the salad wedges.
- Drizzle each wedge with dressing making sure the lettuce have equal amounts.
- Top with the bacon, fried shallots, blue cheese crumble and then finish with the fresh chive.