Pear & Fig Dip
with candied walnuts, prosciutto, & fried sage
Figs and pears are definitely in the air and I am loving it! I love sweet and savory dips, especially sweet and savory dips that are made with fruit. This dip is quite decadently delicious and addicting. There is a whole lot of flavor going on, making one bite just not enough. There is a nice balance from the tang of the cream cheese and sweetness from the pear, fig and candied walnuts. The sage and prosciutto are two more ingredients that round out the dip with a great salty and aromatic finish leaving your mouth craving some more! I like leaving a little chunk to my cheese mixture from the pear, so there is a good taste to each bite. You can’t wrong with cheese and fruits, especially with this Pear & Fig dip. Eat up people!
Yields 2 Cheese Molds
- 2 Pears, pealed and cubed
- 1 jar of good quality Fig Jam
- 1 c. Toasted Walnuts, roughly chopped
- 10 fresh Sage Leaves
- 3 oz. Prosciutto, chopped
- 8 oz. Cream Cheese, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Set cream cheese out to get to room temperature.
- Peel and cube the pears into small pieces. Add to a sauce pan over medium heat with 1/4 a cup of water, 3 tablespoons of the fig jam, and 6 fresh sage leaves. Cook for about 10-12 minutes. You want the pears soft, but not mushy.
- Remove the pears from the juices along with the sage leaves (leave the juice in the pan because you are still going to use it) and add to a food processor with the cream cheese, garlic and salt and pepper. Blend until it is mixed together and still chunky. Set aside.
- In the same sauce pan the pears were cooked in add the chopped walnuts and another 2-3 tablespoons of the fig jam. Cook over medium low heat for another 8-10 minutes.
- While the nuts are cooking, heat some canola oil in a small deep pot. Once hot add the remaining sage leaves (4) and fry for about 5-8 minutes. Remove from the oil and set aside on a paper towel.
- Chop up the prosciutto into small pieces. Set aside.
Assemble Your Dip:
In a wide low cup, place a piece of saran plastic wrap inside with the sides hanging over the cup. Layer half the candied walnuts, then 1/2 the chopped prosciutto, and 1/2 the cream cheese mixture. Wrap the left over sides of the saran wrap over the top and chill for at least 2 hours to over night. Repeat with the second cheese mold cup and refrigerate. After the mold has chilled, unwrap the top of the saran wrap and place on a plate and tip it so it comes out of the mold with the walnuts facing up. Garnish with the fried sage and serve! Toasted pumpernickel squares or toasted baguette goes great with the dip!