Roasted Tomato & Sweet Pepper Summer Salad
with grilled chicken, fried shallot, & a balsamic vinaigrette
The 4th of July weekend is here and what better way to celebrate than with this easy peezy Roasted Tomato & Sweet Pepper Summer Salad! Perfect for brunch, lunch or dinner, this easy to assemble salad is a delicious twist on a traditional caprese salad that is a sure crowd pleaser.
The caramelized tomatoes and peppers add a sweet tang to the smoky grilled chicken. I love piling this on top of either grilled or toasted baguette and drizzling it with some extra balsamic dressing and natural juices from cooking. It tastes out of this world and is quite awesome in my opinion.
Ingredients: Yields 4 servings
- 1 Bag of Mini Sweet Peppers, whole
- 2 Pints of Multi-Colored Small Tomatoes, whole
- 1 lb. Grilled Chicken, Sliced (pre-made works best)
- 2 c. Fried Shallot
- ½ c. Basil, finely sliced
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic, minced
- 2 c. Fresh Mozzarella Cheese, cubed (optional)
- Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing
- 2 ½ c. Canola Oil for Frying
- Sliced Baguette for Serving
- Arrange the tomatoes and peppers on a sheet pan, in a single layer. Drizzle with olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper over the tomatoes. Roast for 35 minutes, until the tomatoes and peppers are concentrated and beginning to caramelize.
- While the tomatoes and peppers are roasting assemble the other ingredients.
- Slice the shallots thin. Set aside. In a medium sized deep-sided pot, bring the Canola Oil to 300 degrees. Add the shallots and fry until golden brown. Remove and place on a paper towel for excess oil to drain.
- Remove the tomatoes and peppers from the oven. Set aside to cool.
- Assemble the salad. On a large serving tray add the tomatoes and peppers. Layer in the chicken and mozzarella cubes (cheese is optional), garnish with fried shallot and sliced basil. Top with the balsamic vinaigrette. Serve with toasted Baguettes.