Spicy Thai Roasted Carrots
with chilled garlic yogurt sauce
I seem to be on some sort of a spice kick lately, which isn’t my usual MO when it comes to food. For the most part, I am a complete and total wuss in the heat department and use as minimal spice (as in spicy) as possible. But oh and behold! I guess I am turning a new leaf, which is where these Spicy Thai Roasted Carrots come into play.
I can’t take full credit for this recipe idea, since it was a side dish described to me by a co-worker. Just from her description alone, I was convinced that these carrots were something to try my hand at and attempt since, in her words, “they were so delicious they were swoon-worthy.”
These are definitely some spicy carrots, but don’t freak out and run for the hills screaming yet. Yes, they are spicy, buy not spicy enough where you’ll grow some extra fur on your chest and leave the roof of your mouth numb and raw. They are a nice spice that leaves you warm inside.
The first initial bite is an explosion of heat from the red pepper flakes and red curry paste. But have no fear, because the chilled garlic yogurt sauce that is served over them cools that extra oomph of hotness shortly after by allowing it to mellow out. The pistachios are the hidden gems in this dish since they add a crunchy yumminess that balances out the dish by breaking up the soft textures.
These were so good that I was snacking on them throughout the entire day. They tasted good nice and hot right out of the oven and tasted even better at room temperature. So if you are looking for a little spice in your life, try these carrots. They are sure to please!
- 1 bundle of Carrots, halved
- ½ c. Pistachio, roasted & salted
- ½ Tbsp. Olive Oil
- Salt/Pepper, for taste
Thai Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 Tbsp. Red Curry Paste
- ½ Tbsp. Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 Splashes of Fish Sauce
- 2 Splashes of Rice Vinegar
- ½ Juice of a Lime
- 2 tsp. Garlic, minced
- ½ Tbsp. Olive Oil
Chilled Yogurt Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 Fage Greek Yogurt (6 oz.)
- 2 Tbsp. Sour Cream
- 1 Tbsp. Mince Garlic
- ½ tsp. Salt
- Mix the yogurt sauce ingredients together and set aside to chill in the refrigerator. This will need to served extra cold along with the cooked carrots.
- Mix the Thai Sauce ingredients together and set aside. This will be used the final 10 minutes of cooking.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Wash and peel the carrots. Slice them in half, unless using smaller ones, and place in a bowl with the pistachios. Pour in the olive oil and mix until carrots and pistachios are fully coated. Place on cookie sheet and lightly salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, place carrots in the same bowl as before and pour the Thai sauce over making sure to fully coat everything. Put back on the same baking tray and place back in the oven to roast the remaining 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve hot with the yogurt sauce on the side.