Sweet Grilled Peach & Apricot
with vanilla bean gelato & Sanders caramel sauce
It was definitely a weekend of peaches and apricots, first with my Grilled Peach & Apricot Sandwiches and then with my Sweet Grilled Peach & Apricot Dessert! What can I say, I like peaches and apricots. Actually, I prefer apricots and my boyfriend prefers peaches. I try to keep the refrigerator stocked full of them when they both are in season. He, compared to me, has a sweet tooth like no other and what better way to exploit that than by grilling up some fresh fruit and serving it warm alongside creamy gelato and Sanders Caramel Sauce.
For all of you non-Michiganders out there, Sanders is a sweet legend in this state. They are a household name that is known for their decadent confections that come in all shapes and sizes for us Midwesterners.
Gelato is my favorite type of “ice cream” because of the creamy denseness that comes from the higher proportion of milk used when making it rather than egg and cream. It adds a nice flair of vanilla love to the warm peaches and apricots and the subtle cinnamon spice. Caramel makes anything better and it is no exception in this case. In layman terms, this dessert is awesomely delicious and super easy to make, especially for a large crowd of hungry dinner guests. Plus, it keeps you out of the kitchen and in the mix of things. I suggest just eating this now and enjoy doing it with a smile with or without guests around.
Yields 1 serving
- 1 Peach, halved with the pit removed
- 2 Apricots, halved with the pit removed
- 1-2 scoops of Vanilla Bean Gelato
- 1-2 Tbsp. Sanders Caramel Sauce
- 1 Tsp. Cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
- Prep your grill. On medium low heat grill the peach halves for about 40 minute turning them after 20 minutes to the other side. It is important to note that you do not want to over cook the peaches because they will turn into mush and be gross. It is better to have them soft, but slightly firm as well, and warmed through with grill marks.
- Remove from the grill and place in a serving dish.Sprinkle with about a Tbsp. brown sugar and a tsp. of cinnamon (the peaches and apricots are going to be pretty sweet already, but if you want that extra oomph, I suggest adding this).
- Follow the directions for heating the Sanders Caramel Sauce. Once the caramel is heated assemble your dessert by scooping the gelato on top of the grilled peaches and then topping with the caramel sauce. You can add whipping cream if desired, but that may be overkill!
- Serve warm!