The Merry Berry Spritzers
with fresh lime juice
Better known as “Grandma’s Drink”, Spritzers are basically a watered down glass of wine. Growing up I was told it was the safest “adult beverage” to give an old lady – aka Grandma – because it allowed her to cut loose and enjoy her dancing shoes without having to worry about her getting tanked and her pants coming off in the middle of the party.
Spritzers of yore have now become spritzers of now and include a whole new slew of variations from the original boring chardonnay and club soda mixed drink. These babies are definitely not considered just a “Grandma Drink” anymore, especially with a much younger crowd mixing them up.
This Merry Berry version has a sweet and refreshing taste that has an extra pizzazz of yumminess, which takes it from plain, old, and, blah to WOWZA good the minute the first sip hits your lips. With a nice fizz from the Sprite that tickles your taste buds, a hint of sour from the fresh lime juice and a sweet finish from the Moscato wine and pink lemonade, this is sure to be one summer drink that aims to please.
Ingredients: Yields 1 pitcher of drinks
- 1 (You can use 2 if you want this extra boozy) Bottle of Moscato Wine
- 12.5 oz. of Pink Lemonade
- 12.5 oz. of Sprite or Sierra Mist
- Juice of 5 Limes
- Extra Lime Wedges to garnish
- 2 Ibs. frozen Berries (raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, & blackberries)
- Crushed Ice
- Mix the Moscato, pink lemonade, Sprite (or Sierra Mist), frozen berries, and the juice of 5 limes into a large pitcher (I used two and kept one chilled in the refrigerator while the other was being served). Stir to mix everything together.
- Serve over crushed ice with a lime wedge and some of the frozen berries.
*Note: This drink can be reworked anyway you want. It depends on how boozy you want it to taste. For something lighter I would stick with the original recipe. For something a little stronger I would add more wine and less Sprite/ Sierra Mist. If you would prefer to make these by the glass rather than by the pitchers then follow the below ratios
5 oz. Moscato wine l 1.5 oz. Pink Lemonade l 1.5 oz. Sprite or Sierra Mist l Juice of 1 Lime l 1/4 c. Frozen Berries l 1 Lime Wedge for Garnish l Crushed Ice. In a cocktail shaker add the lime juice, pink lemonade, Moscato wine, and some ice. Cover with the lid and shake for a minute or two, until liquid is chilled through. Pour in a cocktail glass over crushed ice and frozen berries. Add the Sprite/ Sierra Mist. Garnish with Lime Wedge (add more wine if needed).