Watermelon, Tomato, & Feta Salad
with pomegranate vinaigrette & micro greens
I originally saw a version of this salad made on an episode of Bravo TV’s The Real Housewives of New York City. Bethany Frankel was on a blind date with a Chef who sometime during their mediocre dinner conversion that was as interesting as a dead fish, assembled a salad that I thought at the time looked to be disgusting. I remember thinking watermelon and tomatoes sound absolutely awful together. Who in their right mind would choose to eat that?!
Little did I realize that it is actually an awesomely delicious flavor balance of chilled fruit and salty cheese. The taste combination is a revelation of flavors that successfully illustrates a sweet, sour, bitter and salty taste of ingredients and textures. The chilled watermelon is a pop of sweetness that is balanced out by the room temperature tomatoes and sharp bite of feta.
Not only is this a pretty dish, but it is also a simple dish that is easy to assemble and serve up on short notice. It’s perfect for those warm and relaxing Spring or Summer nights when you are in the mood for something super tasty and a little more laid back.
Salad Ingredients: Yields 1 serving
- 2 medium size pieces of Watermelon cut into cubes
- 3 Green Tomato wedges
- 1 Handful of mini heirloom tomato medley, sliced in half (about 6-7)
- 2-3 Tbsp. Feta Cheese crumbles
- 5 Small Basil Leaves
- Small bunch of micro greens
- 1 c. Pomegranate Juice
- 1-4 tsp. Honey
- 1 tbsp. White Wine Vinegar
- ¼ c. Olive Oil
- 1 tsp. Dijon Mustard
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- Make the vinaigrette by whisking the pomegranate juice, vinegar, mustard, and honey in a medium bowl; season with salt and pepper. Whisking constantly, gradually add oil until emulsified; season with salt, pepper, and more honey, if desired.
- Prep the salad ingredients by slicing the green tomatoes into wedges, mini heirloom tomatoes in half, and watermelon into cubes.
- Assemble your salad by layering the watermelon and tomatoes on your salad place. Sprinkle the crumbled feta cheese and fresh basil leaves over the top and finish with the micro greens.
- Drizzle with the vinaigrette and some extra salt and pepper I desired.